Thursday 9 June 2016

War of 1812 Naval Wagaming

  While gaming Plattsburgh, we were talking about how nice it would be to have the naval battle being played at the same time. 

   I have gamed Napoleonic ship games extensively with my dad when I was a kid. We would play Trafalgar with ships that were around 1:2000 scale. 

  I want to make one scale of ships to play Lake Ontario, Lake Plattsburgh, Lake Erie and small ocean battles. Later on I would also like to do large Napoleonic ocean battles (maybe at 1:900).

  I found several manufacturers of different scales, but in the end, I like building things, more than I like painting. Also, I didn't want to spend a fortune. 

  I found the perfect solution; The War Artizan. His ships are cardstock and easily found materials. He has ships scaled for 1:300 for Lake Erie, plus a line of 1:600 and 1:900 Napoleonic ships (including American heavy frigates). I bought his complete 1812 and Napoleonic range for $75 Canadian. That's for around 40 ships with all the variants, from gunboats to a first rate line ship. His service was super speedy, in a few hours I had the invoice, had paid him and had all the files. 

And the finished products look awesome. I don't plan on making bases for mine, as I don't like the look. The scene below is what I am striving for. 


http://www.warartisan.com


I wanted one universal scale for my ships, and there are very few line ships in these battles. I tried shrinking down the sloops and gunboats to 1:600 but it was redicilously small, so instead I am increasing the 36 gun to 100 gun ships to 1:300; this makes the HMS St. Lawrence (which I'm making from modifying HMS Victory truly enormous; around 8 inches long without rigging. I will post photos as I work on them. I'm starting with Lake Ontario for 1814; full of "What Ifs", and a strange mix of super huge and super small warships. 

I will be making a list of all manufacturers for War of 1812 ships and rule sets coming up. 



6 comments:

  1. This is wonderful to see! 1812 naval is possibly my favourite tiny little corner of history, as far as wargaming goes. I've been scratchbuilding a few ships at 1/600 using the handful of plans I could find from the period.

    Definitely looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work with the paper beauties Chuck! They are so many intriguing naval battles of the war aren't there—both in the lakes and the deep blue?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not create the ships in the photos James, those are from War Artisan's website.
      I am speedily making ships though. Should have the two biggest from Champlain done soon

      Delete
  3. Thanks Reston!
    I've read everything on the land battles but just starting out on the naval battles.
    I like that entire fleets can be made so easily since they are so small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chuck,

    A good initial report and most useful, thanks.

    I have been toying with the idea for some time of purchasing War Artisan or Langton Miniatures with a view to replicating the lake battles. Also, as way of deciding which side has control of a lake for reinforcements and logistics for a campaign or a scenario leading to a battle.

    I look forward to your next iteration.

    Cheers, Rod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking in similar lines for all 3 lakes as well

      Delete